The Bargains of Chatuchak Market

Yesterday I sang the praises of Bangkok’s largest market, Chatuchak. Start there to read and see more about my favorite shopping destination in the world. Today, I’m showing off some of our greatest buys!

In case I have yet to convince you that Chatuchak Market is a must-see destination, I’m going to show you some of our bargain  purchases from the day. We were shopping primarily for clothes so I apologize that that is all I have to show. I also apologize for the poor quality of these photos, which were taken in a rush before my sister was off to the airport!

Chatuchak Market BangkokChatuchak’s trendy boutiques

As I mentioned before, my sister was the happiest shopper of the day, walking away with hand carved chopsticks, leather studded cuffs and clutches, enamel jewelry and a suitcase full of cutting edge fashion designs. Below she models her most pricey find, a cute orange dress. The downside of shopping at a market is that often there aren’t dressing rooms available and in this case the dress is a tad large, but we all agreed that with a belt it will be perfect. On the right Zoe is showing off an adorable lace-covered summer dress she snagged for just $6, while I’m wearing a top I found for the same price. I’ve since worn it with jean shorts to putter around on the island and dressed it up for fancy nights out in Bangkok.

Chatuchak Market Bangkok

Zoe was looking mostly for clothes she could wear to her job at an NYC publishing house. I think she did pretty well!

Chatuchak Market Bangkok

As always, Olivia made out with an amazing variety of clothes. I was especially jealous of the appliqué top on the right and tried to steal it out of her suitcase with no luck!

Chatuchak Market Bangkok

And then comes both our most ridiculous and practical finds of the day. In separate stalls Olivia and I each purchased equally ridiculous “Chiquita Banana” tops in bright sherbet colors. But at $5 each, how could we not? We paired the tops with my most practical purchase of the day, a versatile and basic gray cotton skirt.

Chatuchak Market Bangkok

Also on the slightly ridiculous side was this sequin-sleeved t-shirt that I can’t wait to wear out on the town. And you can also get a glimpse here of a beautiful enamel necklace I fell in love with and that my sister sweetly bought me.

Chatuchak Market Bangkok

For those of you headed to Chatuchak and looking for clothing and jewelry like this, head to sections 2-4. This is where the young Thai designers hawk their trendy new designs! For more on the different categories of goods in Chatuchak and where to find them, read yesterday’s post here.

So, did you know it was possible to get such adorable outfits at such unbelievable prices? Chatuchak will make you a believer!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Are you planning a trip to Thailand? Scour the net for cheap flights to Bangkok, and you might just end up with enough spare cash to buy a whole new wardrobe at Chatuchak!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Did you enjoy this post? If so, please consider sharing on Facebook, Twitter, or via Email through the icons below. Also, I’d love to keep sending you updates about my (mis)adventures around the world, so please subscribe to Alex in Wanderland via RSS or by email below!

Receive new posts to your inbox! Enter your email address below:

27 Responses to “The Bargains of Chatuchak Market”

1. Sophie says:

Love the way you laid out this post. You have me convinced that this market is a great place to shop for deals on cute clothing!

2. Cute finds! Yes, Chatachuk is completely overwhelming, I think you guys did really well with your purchaces, considering the lack of change rooms and the sweltering conditions!
    Sarahsomewhere recently posted..Market Day On The Outskirts Of Chiang Mai

Yeah…. the lack of changing rooms is a bummer. I wore a dress so that I could slip on shorts and skirts for a quick try when the owners would allow it. Tops have a lot of leeway but bottoms are pretty hard to fake a fit for!

3. Grandma Burr says:

Keep these posts coming. They give a great start to my Day. Today is Easter Sunday and Linda is coming up to celebrate her birthday (April 9). We plan to have dinner and go shopping for her birthday gift. Love, Gram E

I didn’t even realize it was Easter until my friend turned on British radio. Without even knowing, we had picked this day to cook a real breakfast and eat on the porch like civilized people. Maybe subconsciously we knew!

4. Laura says:

OK I’ve always wanted to go visit you, now I want to even more to shop for clothes! Happy Easter Alex. Love you

Laura, I will just have to keep bringing you presents! Bangkok has some of the best shopping in the world, I swear it. Wish I could come here right before Christmas and load up on goodies.

5. Great Finds! Travel shopping is always extra fun – I love the ‘Chiquita banana’ tops!
    Dana – Our Wanderlust recently posted..Roadtrip! Pacific Northwest

Aren’t they so fun? I’ve worn mine a few times actually here on the island…. not sure if it’s really a New York City look though :)

6. Olivia says:

Just want to clarify for all of Alex’s readers: The orange dress really looks 1,000x cuter when belted.

7. Caty says:

Bookmarked this post for future reference…Thailand is still way up on my list of places to visit in the next couple of years. I loooove the necklace your sister gave you, that blue top on the left, the “Chiquita Banana” tops…who am I kidding I love all the clothes! Great finds!!!

8. [...] this unbelievable city- the markets. There was the nighttime flower market, the amazing Chatuchak bazaar, and the hipster Vespa Market. I’m not really a retail girl but I was dying inside with [...]

9. Tripti says:

Heya!! Good stuff..I am heading to Thailand in less than 5 day…I was wondering where could I find these designers? I read u mentioned section 2-4..are these at the entrance of the market or clothing section of the market? Eagerly awaiting ur response !! Thanks much in advance!!!! :)

10. pilar says:

Heading there tomorrow with loads of cash! thanks for the tips Alex!

11. Alex says:

Thank for something different. The best part about travelling is seeing all sides of the country, from native to fashion, this will definitively be one of the highlights of my gfriends stay in Bangkok.

12. Kristen says:

Hi,
    Just wanted to say I found your blog via Google — my sister and I are headed to Bangkok and Koh Tao next month and your posts have been extremely helpful to us.
    Thank you!

13. Kam says:

Hi Alex,

I’ve just stumbled across your blog and spent half my day at work going through your posts.

You’ve inspired me to do so much more with my life and travels so thank you!

I went to Chatuchak last year and struggled to get my husband out of there! We got so much stuff for such good prices – def worth a visit when in Bangkok! :)
    Kam recently posted..Tuesday Travels

14. Mai says:

Hi Alex

I am Mai a lady from Egypt and going to my 1st trip to Thailand, I want to do shopping there and I want to ask you if the clothes quality is good as it appears in your pics.

Thanks :)

Hey Mai! To be honest at these prices these clothes are not super high quality. Don’t plan on them lasting a lifetime :) But they are fun for a while!