Reykjavik Rocks!

I fell completely, utterly, unabashedly in love with Reykjavik. I may or may not have spent each day we were there hunting for an Icelandic husband with whom I could pull a green card marriage — thus ensuring all my future summers were spent in my new favorite city. The search was unsuccessful (not for lack of tall, attractive Scandinavian men running around) but my passion for this tiny capital city did not waver.

Reykjavik Street Art

What’s the source of my borderline-creepy obsession with this place? Reykjavik is not so much about the sights but about the attitude and the atmosphere. There’s something ethereal and magical and wonderful about this island nation whose population clings to their Viking history and their elfin legends, all while embracing a stylish and modern way of life.

Reykjavik

So while my love for Reykjavik might be filled with intangibles, there are also many undeniably charming and listable quirks to this city — ten, in fact.

Reykjavik Street Art

1. The Tiny Population is Awesome

Iceland has a population of just 320,000. Try to wrap your head around that! I remember when I visited Scotland last year my mind was blown by the concept of a country of just 5 million people. Iceland kind of shows them up in the tiny population contest though, right? And with nearly 40% of the country’s population in Reykjavik, I got a pretty good sampling of the national psyche.

The whole sparsely populated thing puts the country at an advantage to rank highly in all kinds of per capita contests. Iceland has more artists and writers proportionately than any country on Earth. Nobel prize winners by population? Iceland ranks fourth. Icelanders are wildly creative, fiercely independent, and pretty much all around brilliant.

Icelandic Flag

Reykjavik Restaurants

2. They Are Bouncing Back With Grace

The economic crisis that rocked Europe in 2008 hit Iceland arguably the first and the worst. Reading about the history of the crash, you might expect to find a city of broken widows, boarded up doors and general signs of decay. While you might spot that tucked away in some outskirts, walking through Reykjavik you would be hard pressed for signs that four years ago there was a financial crisis so devastation that Great Britain used anti-terrorism laws to freeze Iceland’s assets!

Iceland Recession

Iceland seems to have learned from its mistakes and is working towards not repeating history. In the meantime, the decreased value of the krona has made Reykjavik a more affordable option for lucky visitors.

Iceland Recession

3. It’s Small and Walkable

Just like it’s number of residents, Reykjavik is downright tiny for a country’s capital. But don’t dare mistake small for boring! (Says the girl who’s just over 5 feet tall). Every block of the city is neatly lined with museums, galleries, restaurants and residences.

Reykjavik Houses

For the traveler, this is a huge advantage. In the five days we spent in Iceland’s capital, we only took one round trip cab ride. Otherwise, we navigated on foot — arguably the most leisurely, eco-friendly and healthy way to explore a city.

Reykjavik Houses

4. The Streets Are a Work of Art

This trip brought me to an entirely new-to-me region of the world — Scandinavia. I heard myself exclaiming at least once a day, “It’s all so Scandinavian!” Well, technically Scandinavian refers only to Sweden, Denmark and Norway and to include Iceland I should be using the broader term Nordic. But we’re not getting technical here, are we?

Reykjavik Houses

Reykjavik Houses

Whatever the term, I swooned over the rows of colorful corrugated sheet metal that made up the residences and commercial buildings of Reykjavik. Accenting the looks were colorful flowers, hand painted signs, and intricate doorknobs. Just going for a destination-less meander is a worthwhile endeavor in a city this beautiful.

Reykjavik Houses

And I loved that it wasn’t just the city center that was kept so sweet looking. Even far-flung government buildings and apartment blocks in the less central areas of town were made beautiful with classic lines and bright colors.

Reykjavik Buildings

Reykjavik Houses

5. It’s a Nation of Kindred Diet Coke Loving Spirits

Icelanders consume more Coca-Cola products per capita than any other nation on earth. As a lifelong Diet Coke addict (fear not, I’ve seen the cancer warnings), I read this fact and felt a deep connection to the Iceland people. There’s nothing like an irrational brand loyalty to a producer of caffeine and Aspartame to make a girl feel at home in a foreign land.

Interestingly, despite the love of this specific American brand, there are many others that are notably absent. The country contains not one McDonald’s, Burger King, or Starbucks.

Diet Coke Iceland

6. Design Is Life

Well thought out design is everywhere in Reykjavik — literally seeping from the corners. From the trendily-dressed mommy pushing a pram to the beautiful concert poster on the uniquely graffitied wall behind her, it looks as if someone came in and art-directed the entire city.

Reykjavik Street Art

One of the best examples of this was the colorful street art lurking around most blocks. Some was clean and elegant, some was playful and fun — but it all added to the charm of this creative community.

Reykjavik Street Art

Reykjavik Street Art

Reykjavik Street Art

I snapped about twenty photos of different posters on the trip — I couldn’t read most of them, but they definitely would have earned me professor’s-pet-status back at Pratt had I turned in anything so chic. I especially love the one below right, which expresses both Reykjavik’s eye for design and also its noteworthy and hilarious passion for hot dogs (seriously) in just a few brushstrokes.

Reykjavik Restaurants

And lastly, I love this vent. To me, this vent sums up the spirit of the street art in Reykjavik — someone walked by this vent and either couldn’t bare to leave a surface undecorated or couldn’t wait another moment to express themselves. Creativity, bursting from even the vents.

Reykjavik Street Art

7. The Nightlife is Insane

The nightlife in Reykjavik is so out of this world that they had to come up for their own word for it — runter. The runter goes on Friday and Saturday night and basically consists of a city-wide passionate pub crawl that might start at a local cafe, warm up at a nearby bar, get wild at a live music venue and then reach fever-pitch at a trendy dance club. Icelanders party hard and party long — most nights start to wind down around 6am.

In the summer, the twenty-four hour sun means that you’re stumbling into bright skies and massive crowds of beautiful people while walking down the main drag at 3am — a surreal experience in a surreal country. The drinks might be pricey, but this was some of the most energetic nightlife I’ve experienced anywhere on Earth.

Reykjavik Nightlife

8. The Shops and Restaurants Aren’t Bad Either

I’m normally not much of a shopper, but I couldn’t help but be tickled by the eccentric and stylish boutiques that my Mom and sister kept popping into. High in quality and design, the lovingly crafted goods on offer were extremely tempting even to a tightwad like me.

Reykjavik Shops

Reykjavik Shops

Equally impressive were the cafes, restaurants and bistros we dined in while in Reykjavik. I have a post coming up highlighting my favorites, but I’m hard pressed to think of a bad dish or an unimpressive atmosphere we encountered. Once again, we experienced the perks of being in a society obsessed with originality, quality and style.

Reykjavik Shops

Reykjavik Restaurants

9. It’s Eco-Tastic

“Green” is definitely a travel buzzword these days, and travelers to Iceland will be feeling smug about their use of it. Iceland harness its fantastic natural resources to create hydro and geothermal energy which powers more than 80% of the country. Recycling is a big deal, and residents are conscious of their consumption of non-renewable resources. The only thorn in this point’s side is the whaling issue, but I’ll get into that in another post.

Reykjavik Street Art

Reykjavik Street Art

10. It’s a Great Base For Exploring the Country

Not only is Reykjavik an amazing city in its own right, it’s also a fantastic base for exploring other corners of Iceland. While staying in the capital we were able to scuba dive in a national park, horseback ride in open fields, whale watch in the bay, and bike ride around the peninsula. Luckily we had enough time to take a mini-road trip out of the city as well, but for those pressed for time, its possible to see a good chunk of Iceland while changing hotel rooms!

Horseback Riding In Iceland

It’s easy to describe a wonderful bike tour, yet hard to articulate a love for the city it took place in. I hope I was able to convey a little bit of the surreal magic that’s going on in this corner of the world. I know that it’s a special place, one that will stay with me a long time to come.

Have you been to Reykjavik? Did you love it If you haven’t been yet, do you think you would go gaga for it like I did?

Did you enjoy this post? If so, please consider sharing on Facebook, Twitter, or via Email through the icons below. Also, I’d love to keep sending you updates about my (mis)adventures around the world, so please subscribe to Alex in Wanderland via RSS or by email below!

Receive new posts to your inbox! Enter your email address below:

58 Responses to “Reykjavik Rocks!”

1. Megan says:

you pretty much hit the nail on the head of why i love this place…and i was not there for more than a day! but i could go back there at any moment and know id fall in love all over again.

and im laughing that you know iceland is technically nordic and not scandinavian. living in norway has taught me ALL about that and norwegians get so offended when i call finland or iceland scandinavian. whoops :)

i had no idea about icelanders affinity for diet coke. i should totally become part of that population. i doubt norway would miss me.

great post again!
    Megan recently posted..My Biggest Travel Confession

2. Great post! I loved Reykjavik too for many of the same reasons. Have you been to the Faroe Islands? It’s great in many of the same ways, though even smaller and more unbelievable. Northern Europe is brilliant, in any case! Good luck getting your green card… ;)

Miranda I haven’t been! To be completely honest I didn’t really register their existence until reading up on Icelandic history, and then another blogger Adventurous Kate recently went there. Her photos intrigued me…. I’d love to go someday!

3. Chris Shaw says:

Wow! I haven’t been there since 1971,…lots of changes, and apparently all of them GREAT!!! Super photos, BTW…

Thanks Chris! What were you doing there in ’71? How was it different? I’m always interested in how places change as they become more touristy…

4. Emily says:

Ahhh now I really desperately want to go there!

5. steve mckee says:

So, Alex, did you like Iceland?
    Hard to tell by this post
    stv

6. Grandma Burr says:

Naturally I don’t expect to ever get there, but I enjoyed your visit. Gram E

7. It really looks like Reykjavik stole your heart well and truly good! We are hoping to end our RTW trip there, so while we won’t be making it there anytime soon, I do hope we will get there eventually! I am hoping we love it too, though I doubt anyone could love it quite as much as you do! :)
    Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted..Capture the Colour

I really think it will be the perfect place to end your RTW! Although make sure you don’t run down your budget before you get there… its pricey!

8. Idun says:

Actually, Scandinavian refers to Norway, Sweden and Denmark, not Finland. Finland, Iceland, the Faeroe Islands and the Scandinavian countries are the Nordic countries. But hey, go ahead and call Iceland Scandinavian if you like, it’s close enough and the people there were originally Scandinavian anyway :)
    Idun recently posted..Holding a seahorse and seeing sea dragons

9. I have always wanted to go to Iceland, reading this makes me want to go even more!

Ps: I don’t know how/when I came across your blog, but I am so glad I did! I love reading your posts! :)

10. kami says:

I’m not surprised you fell in love with Reykjavik, that’s one of the cutest capital cities I’ve ever been to! you pointed every reason why I loved it too! :)
    kami recently posted..Photo Essay: walk around Lublin’s old town

Cute is actually the perfect word to describe it, but I had a travel writing professor who traumatized me away from ever using the word cute in a post, ha!

11. Nicholas Metcalfe says:

Hello Alex,

I really enjoyed reading this smashing guide to Reykjavik. I went last year, and it really is a one-off. I would sum it up with one of the words you have used, surreal. Like you, I couldn’t get over how empty the place was, and I went in June at the height of the tourist season.

Like you, I enjoy travelling but my efforts are more modest than yours for sure. The two trips that made an impression on me more than any others were when I went to Argentina in 2006. I think Buenos Aires is just an incredible city. And also Israel last year. I will never get over visiting and staying in Jerusalem, a simply incredible city.

Happy travelling and thanks for the lovely writing.

12. Sam says:

Very nice presentation of reykjavik and iceland but don’t forget that you have been presented the PR part.

When you start living here, you will start to realise that it is not wonderland. I will diplomatically skip the ongoing racism/xenophobia part and just put forward the fact that yes, it is a magical place but you will have to lots of tears in order to be part of the icelandic society.
    Sam recently posted..The Icelandic Calling VI

Thank you Sam, I appreciate it coming from a local! While I of course couldn’t dream of claiming that perspective, I did get the angle of an independent traveler! I wasn’t sponsored by the tourism board or any other PR agency. This was just a family trip with a lot of exploring involved!

• Sam says:

Don’t get me wrong, i did mean to say your were part of a PR operation. it has more to be understood as a way to say that when travelling, one never grasp the true place. If I’d go to new york, I’d probably have a great trip, but will not understand the life of a new-yorker.

After four years, i have become a bit bitter i must say and Iceland, behind a very nice and very magical screen, is harsh and difficult. But i will still stay here because it is magic.

Yes, i am weird… :D
        Sam recently posted..The Icelandic Calling VI

Yes of course…. the only way to really understand the life of a New Yorker is to move to New York… or watch a lot of Seinfeld. Just kidding, I agree with you :)

13. Alejandro says:

Hi alex!

I really enjoyed reading your guide, i’ve never been there but reading your guide make me want to go there even more!
    I hope one day you can come to South America, specially Argentina, is a really nice place and have very beautifull landscapes!

Great post!!

14. Wow, beautiful photos! Iceland was definitely on the list, and now even more so!
    Susan @ Travel Junkette recently posted..A Perfect Day in Kamakura

15. Susana says:

Hi, I’m married to an Icelandic guy and I don’t have enough word to describe how amazing he is besides I could be in Iceland every year!!!

We are going to Iceland this September and I hope to have a good weather – despite what the weather channel says – so we can enjoy traveling around. Can’t wait!!!

16. Woutor says:

Hi Alex, great blog and so very true.I went there last October and it felt like home, I had to get back there. So this summer we did a round trip of the Island. And what a wonderful, beautiful, exciting country this is. We’ve seen so many beautiful and unique landscapes. This is a place I will have to come back to, to inhale that unique atmosphere.
    Thanks for bringing back those memories :)

Thank you, Woutor, for sharing! I would love to return someday and do the entire Ring Road! It would be a far less glam trip than this one but I look forward to it all the same…

• Woutor says:

I will try and post my travel story of the Ring Road. You must try and make the effort, it’s worth every minute, every penny.
        Meanwhile please check out my travel blog on Reykjavik from last October, you might need google to translate :)
        have fun,
        Woutor

• Sam says:

In order to do the ring road in decent conditions, i will strongly advice to take your time.

While it is possible to tour the island in 7 days. ( i did it in 27hours) Two weeks is the minimum if you dont want to drive 8hours a day from point A to point B with three or four stops.
        Sam recently posted..The Icelandic Calling VI

• Woutor says:

Absolutely Sam, I did it in 16 days and still feel I haven’t seen it all :)
          We took our time, walked an hour here and an hour there, drove a bit and saw all we wanted to see this time.

17. It looks so colourful, pretty and clean. The art scene and cafes reminds me of that in Berlin a little bit. I am sure this will be an up and coming place for the arts in future.
    TammyOnTheMove recently posted..Finding my inner Indiana Jones

Great post Alex

19. wes says:

So many cool posts lately, but most of all i wanted to say, thanks for Soley! Right up my street, that.
    Ciao :b

Hey! You’re so welcome… I’ve listened to that album probably 100 times. We just walked into a cool looking store that had tons of CDs displayed and told the owner we were going on a road trip and needed Icelandic music. She sold us three albums and Soley was definitely our favorite, so perfect for the Iceland landscape.

20. This city seriously looks like so much fun to explore! I’d always imagined Iceland as being just the trips outside Reykjavik, but it looks like I’d definitely want to plan a few days to just hang out in the city itself.
    Emily in Chile recently posted..When things actually work

Emily I talk to a lot of people who feel the same way! Maybe we are just city people but my family and I agreed we could have done with much more time exploring the city, even despite its tiny size!

21. Dan Thompson says:

My wife and I absolutely LOVED Iceland, and you’re right Reykjavik is an awesome little town. Much better than most capital cities I’ve been to. Excellent post… The pictures brought back lots of great memories.

Dan
    Dan Thompson recently posted..POTW: Devising a plan

22. Sky says:

It’s official – you’ve convinced me that I absolutely MUST head to Iceland. This sounds like the perfect city to spend a few days exploring – it seems pretty funky and full of culture! What are their “summer” months?
    Sky recently posted..Upcoming Adventures: October 2012-April 2013

23. [...] Iceland’s capital offers visitors the quaintness of village life with all the perks of a fast-paced city. No wonder Reykjavik’s star is rising. Here’s one blogger’s take on why it’s so appealing. [Alex in Wanderland] [...]

24. Didda says:

Hi Alex thank you for saying such lovely things about my home country, i live in the Usa have been here for 30 years i go home as often as i can since i have family there, i was very happy to read your post!!!:)))).

25. [...] Lonely Planet retweeted two of my favorite posts about Iceland — bringing in huge traffic and making me into a temporary Twitter [...]

26. Jonny Blair says:

This is totally amazing Alex – great photos! I actually went to Reykjavik about 5 years ago and didnt actually do much in the city or take many photos as we were out and about doing the waterfalls, geysirs etc. I really need to go back there now and see the city. One of the safest countries in the world! Jonny (http://dontstopliving.net)

I think a lot of people pass by Reykjavik in search of more natural wonders, but I think the city itself is a gem! I hope you get the chance to head back soon!